Naisha
I had moved to Calcutta for 3 years.Being new to the city I was taking my time to adjust to the weather, people and pretty much everything in general. One day I was coming back to the place I had rented for myself. I was tired by a long day at work. As I dragged my tired feet into our society, I noticed two small girls holding the gate open for me saying "Come in, Come in fast".After I went inside they closed the gates back. I asked them what happened. They said they are protecting their society. Seeing that one of them was in a chatty mood I asked what her name was and where did she live.
"Naisha," she said with the most amazing smile.
"I live on 4th floor," she continued.
"Oh, I live on 5th. Do come to my place sometime."
"Ok," she said and we waved friendly goodbyes.
An hour later I had showered and was comfortably snuggled in my bed with a book.
Knock Knock! Someone was knocking at my door.
"Who is it?", I asked.
"It's me, Naisha," she replied, "Please open the door fast."
I opened the door and she literally ran in.
"What happened?" I asked.
"I needed a place to hide. You told I can come to your home so I did."
I laughed and closed the door.
"So who are you hiding from?" I asked.
"My friends," she replied, "They want me to go with them to run. I don't want to go. Would you mind if I stay here for sometime?"
"Of course. You can stay as long as you want to," I assured her.
Then, to my utmost surprise, she started bugging me with all sorts of questions.
"What is your name? Where is your hometown? What are you doing here in Calcutta? Are you married? Show me your family pics."And she went on and on as if trying to comprehend me and my life.
I was kind of baffled and managed to ask just one question.
"How old are you?"
"10", she replied.
"Ten?Only ten?" I thought.I was baffled a little more.
She was gone in a few minutes after firing a few more questions.I managed to answer all of them without showing much bewilderment.
I met her again the next day. She was playing with her friends.As soon as she saw me, she ran towards me.
"I know some women you should meet. I have many friends and I know their moms. Come, I will introduce you to them. You can be friends with them. That way you won't feel lonely here."
I looked at her in disbelief. I couldn't speak for a minute. A little girl trying to help me in this way was a little overwhelming. I did exactly what she asked me to. I found a group of friends with whom I spent good times for the next two years.But Naisha became my best friend.She was there for me always.Naisha became a part of my life.Almost every other evening she would knock and run into my room with a sense of ownership.She would play with my things for sometime.Then she would play some more.She would laugh with me, listen to me how I spent my day,cheer me on, give me excellent restaurant recommendations(She is a real foodie!), talked about the fanthomless love she had for her dad. Then she would also share her big big life problems like how on somedays she would have small fights with her sister,how her mother would scold her for being extremely naughty, how she struggled with her less interest in studies.I soothed her and cheered her on too! We have stayed in touch even after I moved out of Calcutta. Whenever I tell her about anything I achieve in life she celebrates it with pastries and chocolates. I celebrate when she achieves something.Such is our bond and I hope it remains so in the years to come!!
Comments
Post a Comment