Iktara
Iktara is a beautiful song. I have been listening to this song for years now and it's one of my favorites.
I particularly like the opening lines
"O re manwa tu toh banwara hai
Tu hi jaane tu kya sochta hai
Tu hi jaane tu kya sochta hai banware
Kyun dikhaye sapne tu sote jaagte"
This aptly describes the true nature of soul which believes in wandering, dreaming, searching for new possibilities. It's not bonded. It's free. By nature, by definition the soul is free. No one can confine it. It can flow, dream endlessly.
The soul may feel trapped by fear, expectations, memories but freedom is not something the soul has to earn — it already exists within it.
The next lines go like -
"Jo barse sapne boond boond
Naino ko moond moond"
Now that can mean the person has closed the eyes and dreams are flowing in ecstasy.
The lines create a dreamy feeling — as if someone is drifting into imagination and deep thoughts while dreams gently pour over them like rain. It beautifully suggests closing the eyes slowly and surrendering to those dreams.
The song proceeds further -
"Kaise main chalun
Dekh naa sakun anjaane raaste"
Which means how should I walk on the unknown roads when I can't even see where I am going.
Then the iktara word comes in along with a beautiful tune in repetition -
"Goonja sa hai koi iktara iktara
Goonja sa hai koi iktara"
The person can now hear an iktara playing somewhere.
An iktara is a one-string folk instrument often used by wandering singers.
The iktara heard by the person seems to echo and resonate, awakening feelings of longing and self discovery.
The song plays next like -
"Sun rahi hoon sudh budh khoke
Koi main kahani
Poori kahani hai kya
Kise hai pata"
She is immersed in listening to a story within. But she is uncertain. Is it a complete story? Who really knows?
"Mai toh kisi ki hoke
Ye bhi naa jaani
Rut hai ye do pal ki
Yaa rahegi sada
Kise hai pata"
I became someone’s without even knowing whether this season of love is fleeting or eternal. It's beautiful how she muses over her vulnerability and accepts the uncertainty.
Then the song returns to the earlier lines and ends with "Gunja sa hai koi iktara" echoing.
Overall the song beautifully portrays the feelings of ecstatic dreaming and introspection. The voice of the woman moves with her drifting thoughts on love, life, pain and destiny. It brings along the feelings that all of these are mysteries we move through without full answers. I admire the fantastic music that accompanies these beautiful thoughts and it has been an absolute favorite of mine since many years.
Comments
Post a Comment