My Mehendi Dilemma
I don't like mehendi all that much. I mean it's ok to have it done sometimes. But I don't love it the way all my friends do. But I am a woman. I am supposed to like it right? Lets go over the steps. First I need to sit for an hour while the intricate designs are drawn on my hand. The art is good to look at and the fragrance of mehendi too. But c'mon I need to sit with my hands still for 1 hour and then another 2 hours for it to dry. What am I supposed to do with both my hands tied. I start feeling so restless that I almost wash it off everytime before time. I remember my elder cousin's wedding for which the elders in my family had made me sit for mehendi. Everyone was so happy. I felt so restless I kept moving my feet around. But the thing is I couldn't speak about my discomfort. What if they label me as an outcast in the family? An outlier would be more stylish. Anyways.
The thing is I have never quite enjoyed mehendi since then. It's nice to have it done occasionally and I appreciate the artistry of it. But I am not exactly thrilled about it the way many of my friends are. Maybe it's meant for more patient women. My impatience doesn't really let me enjoy it. I am pondering. Is a change needed? But hey life needs to be lived fully and we need to do more of what we love and dwell less on things we don't enjoy. Is it not? Still wondering. Is it really only about mehendi? Maybe it's about my craving to have the freedom to be a woman without liking everything that women are expected to like.
Comments
Post a Comment